Saturday, November 2, 2013

Primers and more primers.............

I'm fairly new to primers, just having "discovered" them near the beginning of this year. Growing up we weren't allowed to wear make up so I'm a little behind the curve on this. I wanted to give some fair reviews on a variety of products and there are so many out there for every skin type. The first primer I tried was from The Body Shop and to be honest I really liked it at first. That is, until I got my hands on some other primers, both expensive and inexpensive. So first up....



The body shop Matte It was the very first primer I ever tried and probably my least favorite now after trying all of the ones I have. It works ok, but it just doesn't have the satiny finish I've come to expect from my primers. It's thick and takes quite a while to dry. It does do what it says; it keeps your skin a "matte" finish, but with so many other, better primers out there that do the same and give you a good finish I can't recommend this one. Unfortunately I bought two of them. I may just keep it around in case I run out and need a back up. I'll give it a five out of ten.

Available for sale here http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/makeup/foundation-concealer/skin-primer-matte-it.aspx for $15.
 
The second primer I tried I actually got in a Sephora favorites collection. Hourglass Mineral Veil.
 
 

This is a mineral based, water resistant primer with an SPF of 15, a little on the low side. It gave me exactly what the description says....a satiny finish, with my make up going on smooth and staying on all day. According to Sephora.com it's completely 100% fragrance, oil and gluten free, without parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes or fragrances and is formulated without chemical sun blocking agents. It's on the pricey side at $18 dollars for 0.33 oz or $52 dollars for 1.0 oz, but I feel it's completely worth it. A dime sized amount is enough to cover your entire face, this is a primer I would probably save for fall and winter, only because I found one that I absolutely love for the summer!! I have to give this primer a solid ten!!
 
 
The next primer I tried after watching countless youtube video's and having it recommended time after time is ELF Mineral Infused Face Primer.
 
 
 It's very inexpensive and works well. It's a good every day primer. It comes in four "colors", clear, tone adjusting green, lavender and radiant glow. I use the clear because I use a color corrector mixed into my foundation or BB cream. It goes on very smooth and leaves a satin finish very similar to the Hourglass Mineral Veil without the hefty price tag. It retails at just $6 for 049 oz and is often on sale for 50 percent off. I love this primer and will definitely recommend it, don't let the "small" price tag deter you. Beauty doesn't always have to cost a fortune. This also gets a solid ten!!
 
I have several more primers that I'm going to be adding, but I'd like to do them in more than one post so stay tuned.
 
Do you have any favorite primers you recommend I try? Any that you couldn't or wouldn't do without? They may be on my list, but if they aren't I'd love to try them!!! Leave a comment and let me know :)
 
Thanks for reading!!
 
Life is a gift!!! Open it and live it beautifully <3
 
Nancy

No comments: